Tuesday, August 28, 2007

My definition about what a great song is.

Category: Thought and Ideas
According to my opinion a great song is a song that make me feel something. I’m sorry, I don’t want to sound dogmatic here, but this is the one thing that I can describe about what a great song is. Please give your comment or ideas on this subject because I am still surveying and researching on this topic :).

I came into this conclusion because many times I heard music and don’t feel anything, just a plain feeling. But many times also I heard another songs that me feel as if I want to cry, or just a warm feeling in my heart, and even sometimes I can feel anger in a song. I describe the latest as a great song.

I believe that there are many factors that build a great song, such as the lyric, the instrument choice, the arrangement and other factors, but it still make me curious to investigate what is the actual reason that can separate great song from the ordinary ones. Or should I meet the entire requirement above first, in order to make my song sounds great. In many occasions I heard a technically perfect song, but still feel the plain feeling, what I mean with technically perfect are the chord are correct, the notes are struck right, the mixing and mastering sound good and balance. It even makes me more curious.

I hope that if we have found the formula, we can always recreate it in our future songs and that ability become our habit as a songwriter, arranger or band member. Please give us your comment! Thanks a lot.

No comments: